Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Million Dollar Wiki

I was reading a post at John Chow.comAbout this site called The Million Dollar Wiki. This guy, Graham Langdon, 21 years old, has come up with an idea to make a million dollars by selling you your on wikipedia page for $100. Each page is dedicated to one keyword or phrase.

I think Graham will make his million dollars because this is an idea that’s intriguing to people. It doesn’t matter how senseless it is to pay a $100 for a keyword or phrase and then basically have a sub domain web page that will be lost in a sea of other pages in time. And what about when the novelty wears off and people stop going to the site.

Wouldn’t your money be better spent getting your own domain site and doing some marketing for it. Sure this site will be revved up for awhile and all the first comers will benefit on a short-term bases. But, with your own site you can have long-term benefit.

I don’t begrudge Graham his quest to make a million dollars in fact I wish him luck. Hell, I wish I had thought of the idea. Like I said I think he will make his million like Alex Tew of “The Million Dollar Homepage, another great idea, but senseless for people to pay $100 for a small block ad that is jumbled among hundreds of others. Have you seen how jumbled that page looks?

You can see John Chow said about The Million Dollar Wiki at this post. His opinion differs from mine, but hey, we don’t have to agree with the big man all the time.

I’m just saying that just because something seems like a good idea doesn’t mean it makes sense to buy into it. Take some time and evaluate if it makes sense to spend your hard earned money on it. And that says it all.

Click here to visit Klik.us and build my Kliks Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: