Tuesday, July 17, 2007

To Forgive Is Divine

I was watching Oprah today. Well, I was flipping between Oprah and Judge Mathis. But on Oprah they had these people that met with people that had done a crime against them or a loved one. The amazing thing the victims forgave the criminals for there crimes against them.

One lady for gave a man for killing her father and another lady forgave a hitman for shooting her in the stomach. The thing is he was going to shoot her five more times, but his gun jammed allowing her time to get away.

I must admit it takes a big person to forgive a person that has committed these types of crimes against you and I also must admit that I’m not that big a person. I believe you get what you dish out.

I think for the most part it’s women that are more apt to forgive someone for perpetrating a crime against them after the criminal has been caught. They seem to need to do in order to move on with their lives. As a matter of fact women were the only ones I saw on the show doing the forgiving. In fact going back to the lady whose father was killed. Her husband told the guy he was glad to see him in prison and that he didn’t forgive him and it wasn’t even his father.

I think guys are more of the mind that if you do something against me I want to see you suffer for it. If someone killed one of my family members, I want to see the person suffer as much as possible. I want them to be on death row and when it comes time for them to be executed, get them right to the brink. Get them strapped to the chair or the up to their arm and then stop, postpone it. Take them back to their cell and a few days later do it all over again. Do that a few times before they are actually executed. Let them fill that fear of dying that my loved one felt over and over again. That’s punishment that would help me get on with my life.

They say forgiveness is divine. Maybe it is I don’t know. If you are someone that can forgive a person after they have done something horrific to you or yours, you are a better person then I am. And that says it all.

No comments: