Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Click It or Ticket


Over the Memorial Day holiday here in Ohio the state was running ads for people to fasten their seatbelts with the slogan, “Click It or Ticket”. Meaning fasten your seatbelt or you’ll get a ticket.

This seatbelt law really pisses me off because as an adult I know that there might be a danger of serious injury or even death if I’m in an accident and I’m not wearing my seatbelt. But as an adult I should have the right to make the decision rather to wear my seatbelt or not. It’s not like I would hurt someone else if I’m in an accident and I’m not wearing my seatbelt.

I can understand if you have a child in the car and they’re not wearing a seatbelt and you get a ticket. That child is your responsibility and doesn’t have the maturity to know they could be hurt in an accident without wearing their seatbelt. Maybe the adult should even have their seatbelt on too if a child is in the car. Not only as an example for the child, but to protect themselves in order to be there for the child. But an adult alone or with other adults should be able to make their own decision.

The other thing is that seatbelts can also be dangerous if worn in an accident. Sometimes trapping you in your car in deadly situations or even injuring you themselves.

The thing is, I don’t want the government or the law punishing me for a decision that I make as an adult that’s not going to hurt anyone but me. And I don’t want to hear no cute as slogan about it either. I’m a grown ass man. And that says it all.

No comments: